Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Philosopher Kings

This article on Workplace Blog caught my eye. I found it almost oddly encouraging:

New York Post: PROF'S RECORD 142G PAY HIKE

June 4, 2007 -- THE State University has secretly granted the largest pay raise in public payroll history - an eye-popping $141,995-a-year - to a little-known, Ferrari-driving professor who is already the highest-paid official in New York, The Post has learned.

It was revealed earlier that Dr. Alain Kaloyeros, the head of SUNY's state-of-the-art College of Nanoscale Science and Technology in Albany, was earning $525,000-a-year.

Then last week, SUNY officials - without any notice to the public - granted Kaloyeros, 51, the unprecedented raise, bringing his annual state salary to $666,995.

Gov. Spitzer, by contrast, is paid $179,000 a year.

A state where scholars are the highest paid employees and professors and school teachers all drive Ferraris is one I could happily endorse.

Sadly, in this case it's not some hard working Proust scholar who is the recipient of this largess, but the head of a high-tech, grant-getting, public-private, computer-chip manufacturing research consortium with Department of Defense ties aplenty.

This doesn't really match the scenario I've envisioned for philosopher kings, although the salary is about right.

1 comment:

  1. Bleah! I hate this whole competition-to-keep-admin-salaries-level with private managers thing!

    I actually don't want riches, though a living wage and good health care would be nice. What I really would like as a philosopher-king would be the authority to have people's heads chopped off if I don't like them.

    Oh, PS --- I see you responded to my comment. Yes, De Certeau is good, if a little slow reading in the beginning. And a bit repetitive, I noticed. I read the first section of _The Practices of Everyday Life_ in a cultural studies class, but I liked the later chapter, "walking in the city," more.

    ReplyDelete